by Vineetha Reddy: Yoga is famous for its health benefits. This ancient Indian health practice offers a multitude of well-documented benefits
like calming you down, lowering blood pressure, and relieving any undue stress. But, did you know that Yoga also has benefits for pregnant moms? Well, it does! Practicing Yoga helps moms have a healthy and safe delivery. Sounds too good to be true? Well, we’ve listed seven amazing yoga positions that will allow you, the expectant mother, to have a healthy delivery.
- Vakrasana (Twisted Pose):
The Vakrasana or Twisted pose is one of the best poses for a pregnant woman. This pose strengthens the spine, stretches your neck, hands and leg joints. It gently massages the abdominal organs. All these exercises help you have a natural delivery. To perform the twisted yoga pose:
- Sit with legs outstretched; bend the right leg and pull it by your side until it rests beside your left knee.
- Take your right hand and place it behind your back. Place your left arm over your right knee and hold onto your right ankle.
- Push your right knee and exhale while you twist your torso to the right.
- Yastikasana (Stick Pose):
The stick pose helps relax tense abdominal and pelvic muscles. An added benefit of this posture is its ability to help relieve stress. To perform the stick pose:
- Lie on your back with your legs fully extended
- Breathe in deeply and hold it for 3 seconds as you stretch your arms upwards
- Exhale and return to normal position.
- Bhadrasana (Butterfly Pose):
The butterfly pose is ideal for stretching your back and improving flexibility. It also boosts blood circulation in the pelvic region. It also helps fight stress, which can be dangerous during pregnancy.
- Sit down on the floor with your legs outstretched.
- Bend your knees so that your toes point towards each other.
- Grab your toes and pull your feet closer to yourself. Ensure that you don’t bend your spine.
- Utkatasana (Chair Pose)
The chair pose stretches your chest muscles, spine, and hips. It also stretches your lower back and torso. To perform the chair pose:
- Stand erect with your feet slightly apart. Stretch your arms to the front with the palms facing downwards.
- Bend your knees and gently lower your torso. Imagine your are sitting on an invisible chair.
- Your hands should be parallel to the floor. Head back up and repeat.
- Konasana (Angle pose):
The angle of this pose stretches the spinal cord and increases flexibility. It also massages the abdominal muscles, which help with a natural birth.
- Stand straight with feet at shoulder width.
- Keep your elbow straight as your raise your right hand. As you breathe in, stretch your hand upwards and bend your body to your left.
- As you exhale, come back to the starting position.
- Paryankasana (Ham’s Pose With One Leg):
The paryankasana or ham’s pose with one leg is another effective pose that facilitates natural delivery. It focuses on strengthening the pelvic, abdominal, and thigh muscles.
- Sit on your knees with your feet folded under you.
- Lean back and use your elbows to support your body
- Arch your back and keep bending down until your head touches your back.
- Parvatasana (Mountain Pose):
The parvatasana or mountain pose stretches the abdomen and helps relieve back pain.
- Sit with your spine erect as you inhale. Raise both your arms and join your palms together like a Namastey
- Make sure your elbows straight with your arms close to your ears.
- Hold this position as you exhale and come back to the starting position.
So, there you have it, 7 of the best yoga positions to facilitate a normal child delivery. If you’re a pregnant mother, make sure to include them in your exercise regimen.
Vineetha Reddy: Being a regular practitioner and adviser of everything related to health, fitness and yoga, I also have begun to write and contribute to this knowledge ecosystem. I strongly believe that the organic food you find in your pantry provide the best benefits for good health. Follow me for my best ideas and solutions: Twitter Facebook