by boredpanda: Nature in as a whole tends to be a profoundly beautiful thing, but there are few things more magical than finding yourself under a canopy of trees in a tree tunnel on some warm summer evening. Whether they’re formed naturally, accidentally, or with a little help from some patient and talented gardeners, these tree tunnels are sure to enchant anyone lucky enough to walk below their verdant boughs.
The beautiful forms of many of these tree tunnels and the ways in which we’ve copied them goes to show just how much we’ve borrowed from nature. I’m sure that magical spaces like these inspired more than one historical architect to design the gorgeous vaulted ceiling of a gothic cathedral or the arches of some other grand structure. Many ancient societies considered trees to be sacred and maintained holy groves of old trees, and with places this beautiful, it’s not hard to understand why.
Despite how slowly trees grow, they are remarkably receptive to various methods of altering their growth. With strong, persistent and very patient force, trees can be sculpted into a variety of forms. Some of these tree tunnels have been formed and sculpted by careful gardeners to ensure that they conform with their urban surroundings.
A few of the tree tunnels are happy coincidences. The Tunnel of Love in Ukraine, a popular photo spot for married couples, is also part of an operational railway system. The married couples have to schedule their photoshoots behind the times when freight trains are scheduled to pass through. Even unintentionally, these tree tunnels can work their magic on us.
1. The Dark Hedges in Northern Ireland
2. Street in Bonn, Germany
3. Wisteria Flower Tunnel in Japan
4. Oak Alley along the Mississippi River outside New Orleans, Louisiana
5. Jacarandas Walk in South Africa
6. Tunnel of Love in Ukraine
7. Street in Jerez, Spain
8. Ginkgo Tree Tunnel in Japan
9. Blossom Path (Location Unknown)
10. Bamboo Path in Kyoto, Japan
11. Maple Tunnel in St. Louis, Oregon, U.S.A.
12. Street in Porto Alegre, Brazil
13. Sakura Tunnel, Japan
14. Tree Tunnel in Netherlands
15. Location Unknown
16. Laburnum Tunnel in Bodnant Gardens, UK
7. Parque Francisco Alvarado in Costa Rica
18. The Path Up To the Halnaker Windmill in Sussex
19. Cypress Tree Tunnel At The Historic Marconi Wireless Station, California
20. Gyeonghwa Station in Jinhae, South Korea