Uttar Pradesh, India
Foundation of Teaching
Hinduism, Presence, Compassion, Love
Example of Teaching
See all women as mothers. Server them as your mother. When you see the entire world as your mother, the ego falls away.
Total Views: 23723
Maharaji Neem Karoli Baba
Neem Karoli Baba is also known as Neeb Karori Baba, and is called “Maharaj-ji” by His devotees. Maharaj-ji’s teachings were simple and universal. He often said, “Sub Ek” — All is One. He taught us to “love everyone, serve everyone, remember God, and tell the truth.” Strongly connected to Hanuman, the Hindu God in the form of a monkey, Maharaj-ji “taught” in a highly personalized, non-traditional way that reflected the deep devotion of the bhakti path of the heart.
.Known as the “Miracle Baba” throughout north India, He manifested many siddhis (powers), such as being in two places at once or putting devotees in samadhi (state of God consciousness) at the touch of a finger. Maharaj-ji is best known for the unconditional love He showered on all who came into His presence as well as those who never met Him in the body but established a connection to him beyond the physical plane.
This is how Maharaj-Ji became known as Neem Karoli Baba, which means the sadhu from Neem Karoli (or Neeb Karori). This was many years ago, perhaps when Maharaj-ji was in his late twenties or early thirties. For several days, no one had given him any food and hunger drove him to board a train for the nearest city. When the conductor discovered Maharaj-ji seated in the first class coach without a ticket, he pulled the emergency brake and the train ground to a halt. After some verbal debate, Maharaj-ji was unceremoniously put off the train. The train had stopped near the village of Neeb Karori where Maharaj-Ji had been living. Maharaj-ji sat down under the shade of a tree while the conductor blew his whistle and the engineer opened the throttle. But the train didn’t move. For some time the train sat there while every attempt was made to get it to move. Another engine was called in to push it, but all to no avail. A local magistrate with one arm, who knew of Maharaj-ji, suggested to the officials that they coax that young sadhu back onto the train. Initially the officials were appalled by such superstition, but after many frustrating attempts to move the train they decided to give it a try. Many passengers and railway officials approached Maharaj-ji, carrying with them food and sweets as offerings to Him. They requested that He board the train. He agreed on two conditions: The railway officials must promise to have a station built for the village of Neeb Karori (at the time the villagers had to walk many miles to the nearest station), and the railroad must henceforth treat sadhus better. The officials promised to do whatever was in their power, and Maharaj-ji finally re-boarded the train. Then they asked Maharaj-ji to start the train. He got very abusive and said, “What, is it up to me to start trains?” The engineer started the train, the train traveled a few yards, and then the engineer stopped it and said, “Unless the sadhu orders me, I will not go forward.” Maharaj-ji said, “Let him go.” And they proceeded. Then Maharaj-ji said that the officials kept their word, and soon afterward a train station was built at Neeb Karori and sadhus received more respect.
Articles and Posts
- Ram Dass The Spirit Of His Guru In 1973views: 2764
by Ram Dass: The following excerpt is from a Ram Dass lecture that took place in 1973, before Neem Karoli Baba left his body… Talking about Neem Karoli Baba (Maharaji), I get speechless. On the physical plane he is a jungle [...]
- Guru's Grace - Ram Dass Gives Maharaji the “Yogi Medicine”views: 3761
by Ram Dass: In 1967 when I first came to India, I brought with me a supply of LSD, hoping to find someone who might understand more about these substances than we did in the West… When I had met [...]
- Neem Karoli Baba & Baba Ram Dassviews: 5376
10/25/10 Richard (now Radhanath Swami) met an extraordinary saint, Neem Karoli Baba, in Vrindavan. The Baba was affectionately addressed as ‘Maharaji’ by his followers. He taught that by chanting the names of Krishna and Rama everything desirable is accomplished. His [...]
- Neem Karoli Babaviews: 5083
by Maharaji.com: Who was He ? Baba Neem Karauli a Saint and popularly known as Maharaj. He belonged to the state of Uttar Pradesh (Akbarpur) in India. He lead a simple life, wearing only a dhoti and a blanket and [...]
- The Baba who hooked Steve Jobs & Julia Robertsviews: 3930
by The Economic Times: Neem Karoli baba, a spiritual teacher in search of whom Steve Jobs is said to have come to India, continues to be a revered figure 38 years after his death. One of the recent additions to his band [...]
View all Articles and Posts
- Meeting Neem Karoli Babaviews: 2724
- Ram Dass and Maharajji on LSDviews: 3147
- Ram Dass and Friends Share Maharajji Storiesviews: 2464
- Jai Uttal Tells the Story of Neem Karoli Baba views: 2544
- The Early Days with Maharajjiviews: 2471
- Meeting Maharajji and Taking The Yogi Medicineviews: 2866
View all Videos
- "I am everybody's guru."
- "I don't want anything. I exist only to serve others."
- "I have no powers. I don't know anything."
- "I am the father of the world. The whole world is my child."
- "Ask God or Hanuman. I'm just an ordinary being. I can do nothing."
- "Love all men as God, even if they hurt you or shame you. Be like Gandhi and Christ."
- "The great sadhus don't have a human body. They are omnipresent. If a saint changes form, he doesn't necessarily have to take on a human body. The soul is the small form and the human body is the huge form."
- "If you want to see God, kill desires. Desires are in the mind. When you have a desire for something, don't act on it and it will go away. If you desire to drink this cup of tea, don't, and the desire for it will go away."