Santa Barbara, California USA
Foundation of Teaching
Love, Compassion, Non-Duality, Presence, Self-Help
Example of Teaching
My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life, but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.
Total Views: 8463
Oprah Winfrey (born Orpah Gail Winfrey; January 29, 1954) is an American media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist. Winfrey is best known for her self-titled, multi-award-winning talk show, which has become the highest-rated program of its kind in history and was nationally syndicated from 1986 to 2011. She has been ranked the richest African-American of the 20th century, the greatest black philanthropist in American history, and was for a time the world’s only black billionaire. She is also, according to some assessments, the most influential woman in the world.
Winfrey was born into poverty in rural Mississippi to a teenage single mother and later raised in an inner-city Milwaukee neighborhood. She experienced considerable hardship during her childhood, claiming to be raped at age nine and becoming pregnant at 14; her son died in infancy. Sent to live with the man she calls her father, a barber inTennessee, Winfrey landed a job in radio while still in high school and began co-anchoring the local evening news at the age of 19. Her emotional ad-lib delivery eventually got her transferred to the daytime-talk-show arena, and after boosting a third-rated local Chicago talk show to first place, she launched her own production company and became internationally syndicated.
Credited with creating a more intimate confessional form of media communication, she is thought to have popularized and revolutionized the tabloid talk show genre pioneered by Phil Donahue, which a Yale study claims broke 20th century taboos and allowed LGBT people to enter the mainstream. By the mid 1990s, she had reinvented her show with a focus on literature, self-improvement, and spirituality. Though criticized for unleashing confession culture, promoting controversial self-help ideas, and an emotion-centered approach she is often praised for overcoming adversity to become a benefactor to others. From 2006 to 2008, her support of Barack Obama, by one estimate, delivered over a million votes in the close 2008 Democratic primary race.
Articles and Posts
- How 16 Successful Entrepreneurs Start Their Daysviews: 787
Your daily decisions turn into habits that shape who you are. Are you living the life you want to live? Picture this. You wake up, look at your clock and think it can’t be morning already, and then sleep for another 15 [...]
- OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network’s Spiritual Fall Line-Upviews: 1327
OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is planning a jam-packed fall premiere schedule, with new episodes of “Oprah’s Master Class,” “Iyanla: Fix My Life,” “Super Soul Sunday” and a seven-night landmark television event called “Belief.” Below are the shows set to premiere, [...]
- I Spent Years Discovering The Simple Tactics Gurus Like Oprah, Einstein, And Buffett Used To Become Successful—Here They Areviews: 2027
One question has fascinated me my entire adult life: what causes some people to become world-class leaders, performers, and change-makers, while most others plateau? I’ve explored the answer to this question by reading thousands of biographies, academic studies, and books across [...]
- Oprah: What I Know For Sureviews: 1993
by Oprah: Spirituality for me is recognizing that I am connected to the energy of all creation, that I am a part of it and it is always a part of me… Whatever label or word we use to describe [...]
- Gratitude Elevates Your Life To A Higher Frequency - Oprahviews: 3242
by Oprah: The Thanksgiving tradition is a great opportunity to open ourselves to a full season of gratitude… I’m a big believer in the power and benefits of being grateful. I think it’s a major cornerstone in building your best [...]
View all Articles and Posts
- Inner Peace: How To Calm The Negative Voices In Your Headviews: 2084
- Oprah Winfrey Talks With Thich Nhat Hanh Excerpt - Powerfulviews: 2002
- Marianne Williamson Speaks On Recognizing Miracles In Your Life With Oprahviews: 1837
- Watch Eckhart Tolle Explain What Karma Is, What He Thinks Of Facebook, And His Definition Of Godviews: 3289
- Oprah Winfrey´s Soul Series With Eckhart Tolle (Part 2)views: 2367
- Oprah Winfrey´s Soul Series With Eckhart Tolleviews: 2254
View all Videos
- "Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
- "Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough."
- "Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher."
- "Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure."
- "As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around."
- "Turn your wounds into wisdom."
- "It isn't until you come to a spiritual understanding of who you are - not necessarily a religious feeling, but deep down, the spirit within - that you can begin to take control."