I don’t have anything against some cozy winter flannels or a sexy silk nightie, but in all honesty, and according to the science, sleeping in your birthday suit
trumps anything else you might wear to bed. From sexuality, to longevity, to emotional health, sleeping in the nude is a proven way to boost your health, happiness, and satisfaction. Here are 7 awesome reasons to sleep naked every night:
1) Regulates Cortisol Levels: Cortisol is a stress related hormone that, when out of balance, is part of issues like gaining weight, heart disorders, premature aging, and other nasty effects. The amount and schedule of cortisol released during sleep is affected by body temperature. Wearing clothing can be restrictive and cause the body to be too hot or too cold. If you sleep naked your body has a better chance of natural thermos-regulation and therefore a better ability to regulate cortisol. When cortisol works properly we wake up feeling refreshed, but if not we can feel groggy and have an excessive appetite for unhealthy foods.
2) Deeper and Better Sleep: Several studies have been conducted that indicate how important body temperature is for quality sleep. One study found that poor regulation of body temperature while sleeping was related to insomnia while another found that comfortable body temperature allowed sleepers to reach deeper levels of sleep. As indicated above, sleeping in the nude allows the body to naturally do its job to stay cool and comfortable.
3) Better Quality Sex Life: Sleeping naked can stimulate the release of oxytocin, also called the love hormone. Oxytocin is released by the brain in situations involving love, bonding, and safety. The more relaxed and safe a person feels, the more sexually relaxed and open they are and the more present this chemical is, the better ability for partners to bond and enjoy fantastic sex. Also, it goes without saying that sleeping naked with your partner will encourage more sexual encounters!
4) Increases Anti-Aging Hormones: Sleeping naked and keeping the body cooled will allow the body to naturally release sleep-regulating hormones like melatonin and also growth hormones which are beneficial to the skin. Body comfort, complete darkness, and temperature all play a role in the body’s ability to release melatonin and growth hormones.
5) Better Overall Health: Because sleeping naked leads to better sleep and better temperature regulation, the body is able to harmoniously repair and rebuild while releasing and distributing the natural chemicals and hormones we are biologically designed to release. A study found that people who sleep less than 6 hours per night were at higher risk for diabetes, heart problems, and weight gain.
6) Reduces Risk of Yeast Infections: Sleeping naked can decrease occurrences of yeast infections for two reasons. One, because the body temperature is lower and more regulated, the body doesn’t become overheated and thus become imbalanced and a better host for yeast to grow. Imbalanced hormones, higher cortisol levels, and stress make the body a more hospitable place for yeast to overgrow. Two, because underwear can restrict the genital area and throw off its natural air flow and ability to self-cleanse.
7) Boost Your Confidence: Let’s face it, we live in a terribly body conscious culture. I would be surprised to meet many people who don’t struggle with at least occasional insecurity or self-criticism regarding how their body looks. Sleeping in the naked is one great way to get in touch with your body and to accept it for exactly as it is. Sleeping naked will encourage you to feel comfortable in your body.