Northern California, USA
Foundation of Teaching
Peaceful heart, warrior spirit; reality, here and now; self-knowledge; body-mind mastery.
Example of Teaching
“The journey is what brings us happiness not the destination.”
Total Views: 2650
Dan Millman, a former world champion athlete, coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor, is author of “The Way of the Peaceful Warrior” (adapted to film, “Peaceful Warrior,” in 2006), and numerous other books read by millions of people in 29 languages.
Dan teaches worldwide and has influenced people from all walks of life, including leaders in the fields of health, psychology, education, business, politics, sports, entertainment and the arts. Dan and his wife, Joy, live in Northern California. His most recent book is “The Four Purposes of Life.”
In Dan’s youth he focused on self-improvement, taking memory courses, speed reading; practicing martial arts and gymnastics. Then one day he realized that no matter how much he improved himself, only one person benefited — but if he could influence other people in a positive way, that made his life more meaningful and exciting.
He began teaching gymnastics, and elements from the martial arts — which soon shifted into the larger arena of personal growth. He began to write and to speak more widely, especially after the publication of his first book.
Dan would say he has been lucky, maybe blessed, to have the chance to touch so many lives around the world.
Joy and Dan have been married for 37 years and grow closer each day, it seems, as they gain perspective and cultivate a sense of humor (about themselves and one another). He is a proud father of three grown daughters and two grandsons and a granddaughter, so far.
“I believe you’d find me a good (but not perfect) example of what I teach. I continue to practice, to learn, to serve as well as I can. I do my best to keep my head in the clouds and feet on the ground.”
Articles and Posts
- Dan Millman: On Awakeningviews: 27949
by Dan Millman: Centuries ago, a wanderer came upon another lone traveler walking serenely through a forest in India. Intrigued by the serene man, unaware that he was in fact the Buddha, the wanderer asked, “Excuse me sir, but — [...]
- Dan Millman The Hidden School: Return Of The Peaceful Warriorviews: 873
Dan Millman: In this long-awaited missing piece of the Peaceful Warrior story – which has become a multimillion-copy bestseller, translated into more than 20 languages, made into a motion picture, and is now one of the world’s most widely-read spiritual [...]
- Dan Millman The 4-Minute Peaceful Warrior Workoutviews: 2109
This is a 30 day online course available from DailyOM and Dan Millman. We will email you when your new lesson is available and you will be able to login and read each lesson online as they become available and [...]
- Dan Millman The Power Of Awarenessviews: 2208
by Dan Millman: Life is a Great School, and nature is the ultimate teacher, but without awareness you can’t hear the teacher. Awareness transforms life’s lessons into wisdom; it can translate confusing circumstances and events into useful knowledge. Awareness, [...]
- How I Create: Q&A With Authors Dan Millman & Sierra Prasadaviews: 1753
by Margarita Tartakovsky, M.S: I’m honored to feature both Dan Millman and Sierra Prasada for this month’s “How I Create” series. Millman and Prasada are the authors of the new book The Creative Compass: Writing Your Way From Inspiration to Publication. In [...]
View all Articles and Posts
- Dan Millman at TEDx Berkeley The Peaceful Warrior Wayviews: 1336
- Body Mind Mastery by Dan Millmanviews: 1734
- Dan Millman on Finding Your Life Purposeviews: 1230
- Dan Millman: Being Peaceful AND Living Life Fullyviews: 1312
- Peaceful Warrior Movie Trailerviews: 1539
- Dan Millman at TEDxBerkeleyviews: 1544
1. “The journey is what brings us happiness not the destination.”
2. “There are no ordinary moments.”
3. “There is no need to search; achievement leads to nowhere. It makes no difference at all, so just be happy now! Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor and change. There is no problem, never was, and never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world. No need to resist life, just do your best. Open your eyes and see that you are far more than you imagine. You are the world, you are the universe; you are yourself and everyone else, too! It's all the marvelous Play of God. Wake up, regain your humor. Don't worry, just be happy. You are already free!”
4. “A warrior does not give up what he loves, he finds the love in what he does”
5. “Life has three rules: Paradox, Humor, and Change. Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste your time trying to figure it out. Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure. Change: Know that nothing ever stays the same.”
6. “If you don't get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don't want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can't hold on to it forever.”
7. “Pain is a relatively objective, physical phenomenon; suffering is our psychological resistance to what happens. Events may create physical pain, but they do not in themselves create suffering. Resistance creates suffering. Stress happens when your mind resists what is... The only problem in your life is your mind's resistance to life as it unfolds. ”
8. “Everything you'll ever need to know is within you; the secrets of the universe are imprinted on the cells of your body.”