Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Foundation of Teaching
Self-Realization, Yoga, Meditation, Compassion
Example of Teaching
“You look after your attunement with God, and God will look after you.”
Total Views: 4289
Born Rachel Faye Wright, (1914 – 2010) Daya Mata (Sanskrit for Mother of Compassion), was the president and sanghamata (mother of the society) for over 55 years of the only two organizations that Paramahansa Yogananda created to disseminate his teachings. Daya Mata first met Paramahansa Yogananda in 1931 at the age of 17 this was a turning point of her life. She heard Yogananda speak in her hometown of Salt Lake City in and she recognized immediately that he was a man who truly knew God. Sri Daya Mata joined Yogananda’s ashram that year and became one of his closest disciples.
After Sri Yogananda died, she succeeded the Rajarsi Janakananda as president of the society. As a spiritual successor, she supervised the training of disciples who resided in ashrams around the world and the administration of the society’s humanitarian services. She built a following that it is now a much more substantial national movement with a Self-Realization Fellowship in Los Angeles, California, and the Yogoda Satsanga Society of India.
Articles and Posts
- Daya Mata Love, Serveviews: 1893
by Daya Mata: When I was meditating recently, such a powerful inspiration came into my consciousness. You see, I don’t like to make things complicated; I like to keep them simple, because I think God is that way. So as I [...]
- Daya Mata: Early Life and First Meeting With Paramahansa Yoganandaviews: 3667
Sri Daya Mata was one of the foremost disciples of Paramahansa Yogananda. A true “Mother of Compassion,” as her name signifies, she inspired those of all faiths and from all walks of life with the wisdom and great love of [...]
- Sri Daya Mata, Guiding Light for U.S. Hindus, Dies at 96views: 1778
by Dennis Hevisi: Sri Daya Mata, who for more than five decades was the leader of one of the most influential Hindu groups in the United States and an ardent advocate of the healing power of meditation, died on Tuesday at [...]
- A Glimpse Into The Life of Daya Mataviews: 2480
Daya Mata is a devotee of God and a monastic, whose life is wholly given to serving God and humanity through her Guru’s teachings. Through the years, her daily life has followed the spiritual routine established by Paramahansa Yogananda for [...]
- Free Yourself From Tensionviews: 1337
by Daya Mata: Many in the world today are filled with tension and insecurity. This is because man has not learned the teaching of Christ: “All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.” When to attain its [...]
View all Articles and Posts
- Part 7: Sri Daya Mata Memorial Serviceviews: 1282
- Part 6: Sri Daya Mata Memorial Serviceviews: 1194
- Part 5: Sri Daya Mata Memorial Serviceviews: 1390
- The Tremendous Importance of Prayer for Each Other and the Worldviews: 1304
- Part 2: Sri Daya Mata Memorial Serviceviews: 1410
- How The Master Turned Disciples Toward God, Not Himselfviews: 1200
View all Videos
- "Unsolicited counsel creates tremendous resentment. One should not try to impose his will or ideas upon those around him unless they have asked for such guidance.."
- "Perfect joy lies in selflessly striving for the best outcome, and then humbly accepting whatever God gives."
- "We must always remember the point behind our service, behind our entire lives the reason we came on this path and follow our Guru: to find God. When we put that first, we will find the blessing in every experience, every challenge."
- "When I am gone, only love can take my place. Be so drunk with the love of God night and day that you won't know anything but God; and give that love to all."
- "Love, serve. Love, serve. And the rest, do not be troubled about."